Want~Need~Wear~Read



Christmas is such a mixed bag of emotions for me! I always describe it as a pagan celebration, dressed up as  a christian holiday in disguise as a secular event. I grew up in a traditional christian home and I knew that Jesus wasn't born on Christmas day. I also knew that santa was fictional, and that the christmas tree had nothing to do with the birth of Christ. My goal as a parent is for my children to grow up with the same knowledge. Having said that, we still have stockings, and presents under the tree.  I often feel conflicted about having a tree at all, but I found that avoiding the season all together is basically impossible and I'd rather use it as a teaching tool. Some things we absolutely do not do, is lie to them about who the gifts are from or bring in the creepy looking elf on the shelf.  With all the christmas spirit going around, it is so easy for christmas to be all about gifts, and for kids to become increasingly more demanding and ungrateful no matter how much they get. We have realized our kids have more than enough toys and really do not need many more. For this reason this year we decided to jump on board the popular Want-Need-Wear-Read trend. It is just as simple as it sounds, each child receives;
Something they want
Something they need 
Something to wear
Something to read
 I love this idea because it translates in them really only getting one true gift and all the other three things are useful, practical and educational items that they would be getting whether it was christmas or not. It also limits the gifts to only 4 things, (not including stocking stuffers)

To manage expectations, we started talking to them about this way in advance, my daughter was initially confused about why she would only get one thing she wanted, but as is common with kids she has quickly warmed up to the idea and is currently super excited to find out what 4 things she will receive. She loves reading and is especially interested to know what her "something to read" will be. Their excitement is so infectious and I can't wait to see their faces as their open up their presents!

Happy Holiday Season šŸŽ„


Comments

  1. Love this Abi. Looking forward to hearing what they receive. Love, maz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts