Toy Storage Solutions

Every mom has the same dilemma; too many toys and not enough space to store them! Despite our best intentions to be minimal on what toys we bought our kids they quickly built up over years. Especially with generous grandparents, aunts and uncles constantly showering them with goodies.

In choosing storage options for my two oldest kiddos I was focused on finding something functional with a simple design that fit in with the decor in their respective rooms. I also wanted something they could reach by themselves so they could put their own toys away. Finally I wanted one big piece for each room that would fit the majority of their toys and books.

When my oldest was a toddler I used IKEA picture ledges to store her books but we quickly ran out of room and so I ditched the ledges and was on the look out for a better solution. I ended up finding two perfect pieces for both of their rooms.

1] IKEA Kallax Series

 I chose a shelf from the Kallax series for my daughters room.  She was 5 at the time and it seemed like the perfect fit for her. This shelf comes in various sizes but we chose to go with the 8 square option in high gloss white as shown above. I'm not a big IKEA fan but every now and then I do find some decent pieces there. This is absolutely one of them.  The kallax series of shelving units are awesome! They are a set of neutral, versatile pieces that can work in any space. I typically try to avoid pieces that are overly popular but  the good thing about the Kallax is that although everyone seems to have one these days, it can still look unique based on how you accessorize it. IKEA stocks a variety of doors, inserts, bins and baskets that can be used in their kallax shelves or you can find your own inserts elsewhere.



I love that even when my kids are older I can flip this piece vertically and use it somewhere else in the house.  Anchoring it to wall was the first crucial step to ensuring it was secure. Then I added 4 storage bins to the bottom shelves for toys and kept the top shelf open for books and larger items. Best of all the top of the unit serves as a third level of storage. It is extremely spacious and solid and can fit a good amount of books and toys. The one downside with having open shelves instead of doors is that it can get super messy very quickly with kids constantly playing with things, but at this point I fully embrace the mess that my kids create! The photos below show the Kallax set up on her room when we first got it and then again a few months later.




The price is really good for the quality and it has held up really well so far. Other stores like Wal-Mart and Target carry similar cubed shelves but are not as sturdy nor do they look as good as the kallax.

2] Totes Tidy Toy Organizer by B. Spaces


We decided to get this toy organizer for my son's room, he was about 18 months old at the time and it seemed like the ideal solution for all this little board books, stuffed animals and toys.  Unlike the Kallax, this isn't an actual shelf but rather a wood dowel rack with 10 stackable storage bins. These bins can be rearranged to suit your needs and fit on the rack at an angle to make it super easy to get things in and out. It also makes it more functional as it is easier to find things at a glance.




I was able to put this together fairly quickly and I really liked its how easy it was to assemble and yet it's surprisingly sturdy once completed. 



It definitely is a child specific item and is more suited for the toddler phase based on the size and height of the rack. The storage capacity is much smaller than the Kallax but it also takes up a lot less space. My 2 year old loves that he can reach all his things and can put his toys away without assistance. Overall we are happy with it so far!



Another toy storage idea I've had my eye on for a while is the stuffed animal "zoo". There are many variations of this on etsy as well as  many DIY tutorials on pinterest. I've gone back and forth on whether I wanted to build one or not and the jury is still out on that!



I've also seen a lot of wood crates re-purposed as toy storage bins. I love working with wood so making one of these might be in the near future!

Pinterest

Source

Etsy



I'll be sure to come back and post an update once I make up my mind!


Comments

Popular Posts